Heading to the US Embassy tomorrow!

21:49


Last week I got my visa eligibility certificate through the post! It was really official looking, I squealed when I opened it!
I won't be posting a picture or giving any details of this document as Yummy Jobs specifically mentioned not sharing this document on social networking sites as it's the property of Walt Disney or something, so sorry about that. Basically you used the instructions provided by Yummy Jobs to apply for your visa, with the help of some of the information on the certificate!

After applying for the visa, the visa application fee had to be paid, followed by booking an appointment at the USA Embassy in London and then paying the SEVIS fee. Phew.


I originally booked my appointment for the 8th of April, which I was a bit worried about as it takes around 5 days for your passport to be returned and I am going on holiday 10 days later. Thankfully I was able to change it to 17th March as my Dad preferred that day to have the day off work.

I've done lots of prep for the interview at the Embassy. Needless to say this is essential! Follow the checklist that Yummy Jobs and the Embassy provide and make sure you bring the recommended documents, in this case those were proof of appropriate funds to support the cost of the program while in the US (I'm going to show my letter from Student Loans showing I will get a payment the month before I leave, my bank statement and both my parents bank statements) and proof of reason to return to home country (I'm showing my uni acceptance letters). It also says you may want to bring anything else to support your case so perhaps CV showing certain skills or credit history I don't know. It's always better to take too much than not enough. I've got a whole wad of documents to take and I probably won't even end up showing them a quarter of that!

Another important thing to take is a 2" x 2" passport style photo of yourself. I'm actually taking 3 different ones, printed twice!! Just in case one gets damaged, lost or they don't like one of them etc etc! Better safe than sorry!

I'm having to get up and leave by 4:30am tomorrow morning! My dad is driving us up, which I am so so so grateful for as I know how tired he will be due to work. It should take us about 4 hours. I'm in charge of the sat nav and keeping dad happy, awake, fed and watered! So I've prepared a massive feast for us, sarnies, sweets, coffee flasks, the lot! Hopefully there will be some decent radio music on at 4am in the morning? Or else I'll have to blast dad awake with the pounding drums and guitar of Fall Out Boy which is the only thing I have on my phone's music playlist hehehehe...

I've done as much research as possible about the Embassy but updated information is very scarce. There's a big debate as to whether phones are allowed in the grounds. Old posts online say they are not, but posts from 2014 say they are. The website also does not list mobile phones on the page of prohibited items, the closest thing is laptops and similar devises. I can't find anything more up to date though so I'll post what happened on the day when I come back.

Time to get about 5 or 6 hours sleep I think!

B x

You Might Also Like

0 comments