Disney CEP Final Interview

21:08


Even now it's months on I still can't believe I got invited to that final interview at Disney HQ! This post is quite long but it's worth having a read if you're preparing for your final interview for the cultural exchange program or are just interested! The best piece of advice I can give is do your preparation!
Preparation was almost vital. Even though questions tend to change every year, I really recommend reading some blogs and preparing some answers to potential questions. Before the event, you need to fill out an online form choosing your favourite roles at Disney World that you would like to do if you were successful onto the program.

Getting there.
Ok, let's get to the event itself. This was the second time in two weeks me and my dad made the 5 hour trip from Plymouth to London, this time without my mum as she had to work. With the help of the satnav, we eventually found our B&B which was in the most perfect location. The road was one really long street, at one end was where Disney HQ was, the other was Shephard's Bush which I was familiar with. Right in the middle was our B&B surrounded with loads of shops, pubs, restaurants, takeaways etc, it was a really lovely buzzing atmosphere, such a nice place to stay. Our hotel was clean and tidy, staff were lovely and came with a free breakfast! 

Me and my dad ate in one of the local pubs that evening, which was really nice then we came back to the B&B where I went over my prepared answers some more, looked for more blogs and got my things ready for tomorrow.

Interview day!

Not going to lie, I was pooing myself.


I was a little calmer after I kept telling myself that this was only the presentation first. So I got ready into my prepared outfit. I wore a smart black playsuit and tights with a mint blazer and necklace and slightly heeled black pumps. I also wore my Micky Mouse earrings and Disney World charm bracelet for good luck. Basically, go smart. The pre-screen was business casual but this is smart-smart, it's real one to one interview. Girls, wear minimal make up, I just did my usual base with light brown shadow, minimal eyeliner and toned down the contouring. Don't wear anything too revealing. I have naturally curly hair, that I have a love hate relationship with but I thought I'd try to use this to my advantage by wearing it curly to stand out? Could have worked. I tied a little bit up into a half up/half down pony-thingy? I dunno what it's called, it looked quite cute and Disney'ish, I thought!




Getting lost
About 8:30 I arrived at Disney HQ! Which was not Disney HQ... Omfg I was in the wrong building. Basically the building is on a huge roundabout along with the tube station and other shops. I went beaming up the the lady behind the desk of the "perceived Disney HQ" (it had Walt Disney signs everywhere!) announcing I was here for an interview!! She replied by saying I was in the wrong building and gave me directions to the correct one. Wot. I thanked her and rushed out. Wot. Wot. Wot. Maaaajor panicking! It was nearing 8:40 and we had to be at the venue for registration by 8:50!! I rang my dad who had started to walk back to the B&B and he came rushing back to me, also panicking, omfg! We both went back into the, what I thought was, Disney HQ building and asked the woman again, I listened to her instructions a bit more that time but I was still freaking out and confused. HOWEVER, someone behind me called my name (what the?) and it was the lovely girl who was in my Captain Hook team in the pre-screen! She was with someone else too! Thank **** I wasn't the only muppet completely lost and crumbling! My dad left and we set off to find this other building, in a place we'd never been to before... We picked up some other stragglers on the way (yay!) and with all our brains together, we found the right place!!!

It turns out, that the correct Disney HQ was exactly the other side of the roundabout the buildings are sat on. So. DON'T go to the Disney building with lots of chairs, a few characters and a large desk. DO go to the Disney building with the massive Micky Mouse in reception! Check Google maps. I did look at Google maps but I was looking at the wrong side! I didn't realise there was TWO buildings!! The best way I can describe it is the one by the flyover is the wrong one. Go to the one furthest away from the flyover, by a big opening for buses or taxis or something. 

After the panic, we made it on time, apparently loads of people got the wrong building. Down stairs, we collected out Disney Guest passes and had our photo taken (where the really cool diamonte giant Micky is).


Checked in and ready to go!
We were lead upstairs where I had to hand over a form of ID and my student confirmation sheet. This place is magical. Not only were there TVs playing Disney Channel and life size models of Storm Trooper and giant Marvel posters but there were gorgeous little accents of Disney like Micky head silhouettes in the railings and doors, little character ornaments etc. It smelt nice. It was plush and new looking. We then got a chance to mingle! My anxiety was sky high after the issue with the wrong building so I was sure even this was a test. I spotted some of the people from my pre-screen so it was nice to catch up with them. At this point it did feel a bit down in the dumps as everyone seemed so confident and loud and stuff.


The presentation
Around 9 we were taken into a cinema room (yes Disney HQ has it's own cinema room). It looked brand new, the little Disney accents continued to remind you where you are and the seats were incredibly comfortable and plush! We were then welcomed by two of the Yummy Jobs team members (Louise and Katie) which was nice to see more familiar faces. Then introduced to three Americans who worked out in Disney World, Florida. They were to do with the recruitment sector and would be holding the interviews. The three of them, all equally lovely, gave us a very detailed presentation about the program, much more in depth than the pre-screen. During that moment I realised just how much I wanted this opportunity. The details included:
- information about each individual role
- Disney language, words and terms
- accommodation and transport
- pay
- rules and regulations
- visas, police checks, insurance and flights 
- what the opportunity could mean for your future

There was also a quick quiz like in the pre-screen where chocolate was given out (I didn't win any *sad face*) and a questions and answers session. The whole thing lasted about an hour and a bit, I loved it, it was incredibly interesting, helpful and just incredible to think we each had a shot at this amazing opportunity. 

I met my dad after and we headed to West Field mall which was about a 10 minute drive away. I'd been there before, it's huge and it was so easy to spend all day here, shopping and having lunch and some coffee breaks!

West Field at Christmas time is pretty!
The ACTUAL interview.
We left around 4 and headed to the HQ again. Luckily we did leave at this time as even though it was only a short drive, the traffic was choca - it was London and nearing rush hour, duh! 

I think the interviewers were running a little bit late as my 5pm group arrived while a couple of the 4pm group members were still waiting for their interview. This was kinda perfect actually. It was a great chance to sit back and relax a little bit with the other candidates. We all had a great chat and laugh which really calmed my nerves. Each person that came back from their interview said it was absolutely fine, the interviewers were really nice. I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure it was gone 6pm by the time I was called. I think it was in alphabetical order, so I was almost first out of my group to be called up.

My interviewer came up to us and called my name. Here goes! As I walked back with her I asked her how she was and where she was from and enthused about  her answers, I think she liked this. We entered a room where my friend was being interviewed by another member of the Disney recruitment team. We sat down in the opposite corner. She reassured me she'd be typing a lot to make sure she could remember everything I said. So the interview began, I relaxed immediately, she made me feel so calm and welcome, I felt my personality shined. Some of the areas discussed:
- My home town
- The top three Disney Roles I chose and why
- Why I wanted to work for Disney
- Heat in Florida - Living near the seaside, she understood I was comfortable in the heat
- Culture exchange - I simply explained that I go abroad often and find it culturally informative!
- Making friends - I spoke about moving in with 3 people I did not know at university
- Interaction - I've worked with children with special needs, I mentioned this to show I can interact with people with different needs and abilities with care and respect.

Like I said, you need to chose 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice roles, obviously 1st being the one you would most like to do so think carefully. I actually drew a spider diagram of the pros and cons of each role, did lots of research on blogs and websites too. As I said before preparation is key. Think of some good original reasons to explain why you want to do these roles, mention any skills or experience that might be related to the roles. It's not to say you will get your 1st choice or even your 2nd if you're successful but just think any role in Disney is incredible.

As you can tell I'm writing this in March when my interview was in November so my memories of the event isn't too clear! If anything else comes to mind I will edit this post!

The interview only lasted about 15 minutes, it flew. I was feeling pretty good as I left, we shook hands and I returned to my nervous friends in the waiting area and reassured them that it was absolutely fine. Making sure I had all their Twitters, I headed off out of the building to meet my dad. It was dark now but central London was still busy busy busy. Too busy perhaps! It was a nightmare getting onto the motorway at 6:30! My good feeling didn't last long, I had the whole 5 hour journey home to rip the hell out of everything I'd said lol! I know it was stupid as there was nothing I could do about it now, my fate was completely in Disney's hands! There was just so much more I had to say that I had prepared and a few things I shouldn't have said etc etc etc..!

Anyway, we were told we would find out by mid December, which meant there was going to be an agonising month and a half wait and either the best Christmas ever or a pretty depressing one! All you can do is keep those fingers and toes crossed and believe, in true Disney style!


(I got the job, by the way! Check out the rest of my Disney CEP posts right from application stage to receiving my invitation and everything else in preparation for my arrival in Florida summer 2015!)

Beth x


All GIFs found on Tumblr

You Might Also Like

0 comments